Monday, July 21, 2014

Day Ten...High Standards

Hey there...settle in for a few minutes with me will you? Let's talk standards.

I cannot stand to be told what to do. I cannot stand it so much that I'm writing that sentence again. I CAN NOT STAND TO BE TOLD WHAT TO DO. It's annoying and most of the time the person doing the "telling" isn’t in my opinion all together worthy of my obedience

So there you go. I like to do things my way and I also like to learn by doing...not by hearing. I don’t recommend it, it's been pretty painful. 

All that being said....the few times I have enjoyed being told what and how to do things it has always always always had one thing in common, and that is, the person in charge has managed to prove their authority in a way that captures my heart.



Obedience is a heart issue. If I love you and respect you...there is a far greater chance I will follow your rules. Because at that point...even if I think your rules are stupid...I want to please you, not disappoint you, and give you respect.

Most people fire off the Ten Commandments without including the very first line in the chapter...and it is my favorite. It makes the rest of the rules matter to me. See if you agree...

"And then God spoke these words. I Am The Lord your God, who has brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage." Exodus 20:1-2

BOOM.

He is establishing with us who exactly He is, and what exactly He has done for us before He lays down the rules. I love that so much. 

I read that and I hear "Hey Allison, I'm the One who created you; I am the One who gets you out of all that trouble you constantly get yourself into. I Am the One who gave you freedom when everyone else was trying to knock you down...baby girl...obey me...I deserve it."

And then, because He continues to astound me with His generosity and PATIENCE Oh my word the amount of patience He has...He sends us Jesus to forgive us when we go right ahead with our stubborn selves and break all those well laid out rules He made.

WHO. DOES. THAT? I would squash you like a bug if you broke all 10 rules I gave you. I'd squash you after you broke three... But not our God...

To be honest...I can’t even recall by memory all Ten Commandments. I forgot the list after about 3rd grade Sunday School. I'm just guessing you are in my boat so here it is ...short hand.

1. No other gods. Only Me.
2. No carved images. Don't worship them. 
3. Do not use Lord's name in cursing or in any irreverent way.
4. Work six days and rest one. 
5. Honor your Father and Mother.
6. No murder.
7. No adultery.
8. No stealing.
9. No lying.
10. No lusting.

Aaaaaaaand I'm in trouble. Those are high standards. 

When Jesus comes on the scene He sets all the self righteous people who think they are doing a pretty awesome job of not breaking the commandments straight by adding...

"You have heard it said, Do not commit adultery. But I am here to tell you if you even look at another woman lustfully you have already committed adultery in your heart."  Matthew 5:27-28 

Did you see that word..."heart"? Told you. Obedience is a heart issue, and Jesus is wildly interested in what’s going on inside that heart of yours sister. 

When we read and watch all of the horrible, unimaginable acts going on in our world today we scream "What is wrong with these people? Have they no SOUL?" And the question we need to ask is, "Have they no Holy Spirit?" People need The Voice whispering..."Do not hurt others, remember the commandments."  

Let's all remember why we want to obey God, we love Him. And lets remember WHO He is and WHAT He has done for us the next time we roll our eyes at the list of "do not do’s" He gave us.

He is worthy of our respect...

And sure...you can do what you want to do. We all know you can sneak around and get away with most things these days... that's not too impressive. You can sling the phrase "redemption of sins" around like a gunshot to anything unholy....but who are you really hurting in the long run? It's you sister. 

Will God still love you if you break all ten...yep. Will you live a very frustrated life in the process...yep. Don't be that girl. Rebellion against God can leave a lot of carnage in its wake...   

Look at this!!! Day ten is done of the Scripture challenge! I'm high five-ing you! At this rate we will finish before Christmas...if we are lucky. (grin)

~Allison 
*aka* the very biggest grace abuser.

Day 11
Romans 3 Click HERE

       
  

No comments:

Post a Comment