Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Competition...I Mean Challange #21Days

Lately, I'm watching my words closely. (My published ones at least) I wish everyone else would do the same thing but I am not the boss of them. (I totally wish I was) I see a bunch of people talking about a bunch of things and instead of hearing their rambling n-e-v-e-r- ending words...I find myself wishing someone would invent a pedometer for the human tongue. You know it’s a good idea...some people don't know when to stop talking. I do. I know when to stop, to pause for a minute, a day, a week, months... or how ever long needed to regain my thoughts and speak when it's time.

It's time. 

I was asked to take a 21 day challenge. I'm SUPER COMPETITIVE so that word challenge drew me in. However, the number 21...that's going to be a problem. I don't really do anything for 21 days in a row consistently that isn't self serving. I'm just being honest. I mean I brush my teeth every day, shower, put on mascara, eat, blah blah blah but everything else comes in spurts rather than consistency. It's a personality thing (flaw) whatever.

So this will not be 21 days in a row. I guess that sort of means I already lost the competition, except the actual word was challenge so maybe I'm walking on the fence with this one. (Story of my life. see the rules...bend them to fit my quirks...pray for God to fill in the gaps)

I just realized I never told you what the challenge was about. I'm sure you were hoping it had something to do with weight loss or whiter teeth, that seems to be all anyone cares about. I'm sorry to say I haven't found a magic pill for any of that stuff and if I ever do I will let you know for sure. 

This was a "quiet time" challenge. For those of you who don't speak the language of guilt, it means carving out a portion of your day to read the Bible and talk to God about your life. I am quite sure this is done best first thing in the morning, I'm sure of this because that's what I've been told by important church people. 

The thing is, in my life, early in the morning isn't going to be a productive time for reading or talking...to anyone. I mumble a lot and stumble around communicating by glaring at objects. When I sit really still, I fall asleep...when I read the Bible, I fall asleep. (Honesty is the best way friends.)  So I'm going to let you peak into the window of how a woman (who doesn't have it all together) finds time to have an active relationship with Jesus. 

One way...I speak to Jesus through song. In the car mainly but also in the house. I like loud music, I can sing to Him and when the song is over if you think about it...you just told Him how much you love Him out loud and with passion. Not so quiet time-ish but it works. My new favorite is Jaime Grace, I Get To Love You... look it up. Also, Write Your Story by Francesca Battistelli and This is Amazing Grace by Phil Wickham. I also like Turn Down For What by DJ Snake and Sing by Ed Sheeran although I don't recommend them for your praise and Worship moments. (Laughing) Honesty is a theme here. Oh oh oh one more...Rewind by Rascal Flatts That's a gooooood one. And anything Luke Bryan...OK moving on.

I keep my Bible in my car or in the kitchen. I also leave it open...for me, out of sight is out of mind. I am always in the car and I am pretty much always stalking the kitchen. I read a line here and a line there. Psalms is good for this random reading approach. I figure if I live my entire life only reciting praises back to God...not a waste.       

If you have met me, you know I'm madly in love with Jesus. It's not a thing for me to randomly scream "PRAISE GOD" in a large crowd (or small). There is not a "me" when I'm with my Christian friends and a different "me" when I'm not. Just the other day a dear friend of mine said "Until I met you I didn't think it was possible to love Jesus so openly and cuss out the referee during a soccer game." I took that as a huge compliment. 

Christians, by definition are followers of Jesus Christ. Believers in the greatest event in history...The slaying of Gods Son on a cross, followed by defeating death and rising 3 days later...all to give US life and forgiveness. RIDICULOUS RIGHT? Lavish and horrible and breathtaking all at the same time. 

None of us ARE Jesus Christ. Therefore, calm down. Take a deep breath and lower your behavior bar. We can very much be on a journey with our Creator...in spurts even. The greatest truth you can ever hear is that your Salvation isn't contingent upon behavior. Yikes. You mean even assholes can be Christians....yes friend. Welcome.

I long for a time where we can discuss tough issues without hurling Scriptures at each other like it was life snatching rather than life giving. I've found that the more I know of Jesus...the more at peace I feel, my own skin doesn't crawl anymore. I feel a stirring in my soul to let you in on the freedom. 

Back to the competition...I mean challenge. 21 days of scripture reading. Then writing down a few things...

I tend to write speaking to the age of teenage girls and young women...keep that in mind if you jump on the challenge with me. Mainly because I find them fascinating and authentic.  I'm a huge fan of free thinkers. I believe if you lead them gently to Jesus they will stay, and if you attach Him with a long list of "Do not do's" they will go...When a young girl places herself under the authority of Jesus the rest falls in to place. She cannot be forced. We don't like that.

I leave all judging to God, (I mean I totally judge people but I will only tell my best friend. kidding. ish.) I tried it once and I wasn't good at it...mainly because I have a slight temper and I'm way too quick to be all "Off with your head." So you will find that I speak a lot about Grace...I tend to drown myself in it. I hope you will too. 

I write from personal experiences and whispers from The Holy Spirit. If what I say highly offends you, understand that this is a blog; feel free to not read it. 

If you can figure out how to leave a comment (good luck, I can't find the button) I'd love to hear from you. We don't need to agree on everything HOWEVER any comments that are unkind will be deleted...because truly...I got one less problem without you.
Iggy Iggs.

~Allison  

Day One...read Genesis Chapter 1 and meet me back tomorrow (or the next day) and let’s see what we think about it. Want to talk...justallisonlee@gmail.com 


Online Bible readers click HERE.