Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Our Drummer Boy

He sings off key, he would never admit it but he does, and the girls and I glance at each other and giggle when he gets to the chorus. He is a confident man, I wish I had a dose of it to share with you all, it’s a gift really…to think you are good at well, everything and yet still remain a humble human being.

He works hard, day in and day out and on Sunday that alarm still goes off well before the sun has peeked over the mountain. He leads us well…by serving. We want to be near him, the strong man who sings slightly out of tune.  

He’s the traditional type but he knows his wife connects with the Holy Spirit best when loud electric guitars and a solid set of drums are pounding out the Gospel. So he gives up his staccato How Great Thou Art for the free spirit who needs to take off her shoes to feel the Holy Ground while she sways to the beat of band.  

Mostly, he likes it. To him God isn’t so much a *feeling* but a fact, a Truth that Is. The music doesn’t so much take him anywhere...funny how two worshipers of the same God can tick so differently. He patiently waits for the sermon and to me, by the time the preaching has begun my heart is already full.   

It was a Sunday like all the others, the lights dimmed and the worship leader, began by reading his Bible from an iphone, the other hand making the beginnings of a song and I stood to my feet and closed my eyes…

He leaned over and whispered “Allison he’s here.” I opened my eyes and replied “Who Chad? Who’s here? Jesus? I know.” He laughed and said “The drummer... My drummer. Watch him during the song. I promise you won’t regret it.” I agreed by nodding my head and keeping my eyes open, which is a huge risk for me because I am distracted so easily.

I watched as this young brown shaggy haired boy effortlessly ruled those drums. His arms did their own thing while his body was fully engaged in something that can only be described as his private worship to his living,listening God… His head would throw back at just the right time and he was leading my tired man into the presence of Jesus Christ by his unique and authentic instrumental praise. 

He compelled our feet to start tapping and before I knew what was going on my husband was singing, loudly…in public.

The girls leaned over to see their quiet father lose himself with this "leader behind the drums."  I didn’t want the song to end, but it did and we were called to a time of prayer. I remember thanking God for creating us all so differently and then laughing at the wonder of a man in a business suit feeling so connected to this drummer boy in a plaid shirt with jeans. 

Only You Jesus. Only You.

I grew quite fond of this drummer who transformed my man on Sunday mornings. He wasn’t there every week which was probably a blessing in disguise for the innocent bystanders witnessing our jam. 

I would get a nudge; an elbow to the ribs, when he was there…it was my cue to worship with my eyes open. To fully engage.  What a treat. What a gift. What an experience I think will be close to what worshiping in Heaven must be like.

I never thanked him. I wanted too; it crossed my mind more than a dozen times. And now, it’s too late. Our drummer boy, who we found out was named Wade, tragically went home to be with Jesus this week.  I sobbed. Selfishly weeping. Grief grips us all the same, fingers around the throat. Jesus I asked you for a miracle...I believed You would give us one. Your will not ours was done, and now the suffering for those left behind. 

Selah   

Dear Wade,
You lead me right up to The Throne of Jesus Christ, to the Holy place I couldn’t find on my own. You found a way to free my husband’s hands from his pockets and clap to the rhythm you provided him with your sticks on the cymbal. You allowed us to come with you on your journey of worship from the first note to the last. Thank you for not hiding your talent. Thank you for sharing your gifts. How robbed we all feel that you went home before we thought it was time…how sorry I am for not expressing my gratitude when I had the chance. When I get to heaven, will you lead us again? Will you play for your Father and can I watch? In the waiting, when I hear the drums…I will whisper a prayer of thanksgiving and another pleading comfort for your bride.  

Christ Alone, Cornerstone…


~Allison   

12 comments:

  1. Allison,
    I knew Wade as well. This is an amazing testimony of, not only the power of music, but the influence of excellence. Wade was an amazing musician, and strived for excellence in everything he did. I believe that with my whole heart. He and Kellie were a perfect match, complimenting each other while expressing individuality. I was so privileged to share a stage and season with Wade over the last 8 years. Yours, like so many others, is a life touched by a worshipper in his element, knowing his place and his purpose, honoring God and his family. It really reached me when you wrote "When I get to heaven, will you lead us again? Will you play for your Father and can I watch?" As a musician and worship leader, I want that to be said of me as well. Thank you for putting these thoughts down so beautifully.
    Eric Harrison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric,
      I'm so sorry for your loss. The gift of a Christ centered friendship is so valuable, and so hard to find. I will be thanking God for you today as well...and for all the men and women who stand on stage so vulnerable, allowing us to watch your hearts pour out before Jesus. Your bravery extends to us as our benefit. Leaders to the Cross...thank you.
      ~Allison

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6/30/2014

    Allison,
    I want to thank you on behalf of our entire family for writing this beautiful tribute to our son Wade. We read this together as a family yesterday and there wasn't a dry eye in the house. We mourn our son's passing greatly, but the wonderful way you have captured his passion for worship lifts our spirits and gives us comfort. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. May The Lord bless you and your family out of the richness of His glory.

    Wade's Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pleaded with The Lord to heal your son, and when I got the news that He indeed healed him...just not on this side of heaven...I wept. I'm so sorry for your separation from Wade. My heart aches for you.
      Thank you for raising a man who honored Jesus. He was a beautiful example of living out your purpose for the kingdom. I am forever impacted.
      Praying always...
      ~Allison

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6/30/2014

    ooooh ...so good! We loved Wade and will miss him!

    Sherilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison - I am Wade's Uncle Norm. We celebrated the life of this extraordinary young man at a service last Saturday. Sunday - when we needed it the most - someone shared your blog with our family. Your words moved us all deeply. Thank you so much for sharing them. Your words were another glimpse of the impact Wade had on his world that God has allowed us to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Norm,
    I can not imagine the pain your family is in over this huge loss on earth...I will keep asking The Lord to give you stories like mine in the weeks and years to come. There must be thousands, I'm sure of it. Thank you for writing me. What a celebration we will all have in heaven one day together...
    In Christ,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7/02/2014

    Allison,

    Your tribute to Wade is so well-written, so beautiful, and so true!! Thanks for using your gift to inspire others and tell of Wade's life well-lived!!!
    Love you girl!!
    Dale S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too Dale...very much

      Delete
  7. Anonymous7/02/2014

    Be~Y😇U~tifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7/11/2014

    Allison,
    I am Wade's Aunt Cathy. Thank you so much for writing this. I read it often. Although tears stream down my face every time, it makes me feel close to Wade. The last days in the hospital were so brutal for those of us who loved him, but this lets me have such a beautiful image of Wade doing what he loved most and that he was gifted to do. That is a huge comfort. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cathy May God hold you so close during this mourning. Sister I pray that Jesus is so near to you...

      Delete