Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Day Five: The End Of Your Rope


 I'm so proud of you. (I'm saying that like it's in all caps.) I mean I can’t even tell you how happy I am that you are taking time out in your day to reconnect with the pages of Scripture. If God is whispering to you grab it...wrestle with it...figure it out, but don't let it go. Hang in there with Him. Keep reading, praying, writing it down...

It is not a waste of your time..."My word, which comes from my mouth, is like the rain and snow. It will not come back to me without results. It will accomplish whatever I want and achieve whatever I send it to do.”  Isaiah 55:11 See there? Told you. 

Matthew chapter 5 begins some INCREDIBLE teachings from Jesus Christ. I mean listen, lots of people give good sermons. I've heard thousands, but who are we following? If you hear yourself quoting your pastor more than you quote Jesus...time to remind yourself where Salvation comes from. (It isn't your preacher)  
                                      
This is a chunk of Scripture that is the very breath of God...and I adore how it starts off.
"Seeing the crowds, He went up on a hillside and sat down..."

Jesus was drawing CROWDS sister. Think Justin Bieber times a million. Nah. Think Justin Timberlake. (Much better visual) He was bringing something different to a group of people desperate for change. He was healing people who were on deaths door. Word gets around pretty fast when blind men see and handicapped from birth jump out of wheelchairs and run. Dead people got up at the command of His voice and demon possessed people...total freaks...were made normal. 

So He saw the crowds and went on a hill... (Because He is brilliant.) There is a debate among the people who make it their business to study the Bible for a living over whether Jesus was talking to only His disciples or the entire crowd. I have two opinions on this. Grin.

1. He started the teachings speaking only to the disciples and then as the crowds got closer the mountain allowed His voice to be projected well. I think He climbed up there because you know; He didn't have a sound system and lights. Of COURSE He wanted everyone who came to hear...He was all about the sharing the Good News, not keeping it secret. Also, in chapter seven, at the end of the sermon, it says in verse 28 "And when Jesus finished the sayings, the crowds were astonished at His teachings..."   
How could the crowds be astonished if they didn't hear the teachings?

2. Who cares? The disciples heard it for sure and it is now in the pages of our Bible so we heard it. The bigger debate should be about what are you going to do with the information? Moving on...

What was He teaching about? Glad you asked... He taught us about who exactly is blessed, why you are here on the earth, how He stands on the issues of Gods law, murder, adultery, empty promises, loving your enemies, being humble, praying with simplicity, worshiping only God and a simple guide for how we should be behaving.

It's rich with information, it’s anything but boring and I would highly encourage you to know what He said if this is the God you claim to "follow".

Are you still here? I sure hope so. Its long I know...I'll end today with the first part of His message. He starts off telling us WHO is blessed. It’s not who you think...I will give you my personal favorites here...

Verse 3. You are blessed when you are at the end of your rope. With less of you, there is more of God.

Verse 5. You are blessed when you are content with exactly who you are no more and no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that cannot be bought.

Can we pause here for a minute... soak up what He just told you ^ ^ ^ 
  
Verse 7. You are blessed when you care. At the moment of being "care-full" is the moment you are cared for. 

Verse 9. You are blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That's when you discover who you really are.

Verse 10-12 talks about being blessed when people reject you or make fun of you for loving God and following His ways...He warns us that this WILL happen and that Heaven is clapping for you when the rest of the world is laughing. 

Heavy load right? Not all rainbows and butterflies for sure...but we are blessed.

Blessed- When God extends His benefits. In a position to receive His favor.

I want that more than I want my next breath. His favor, His benefits. Don't you? I know you do. 

Write those "who are blessed" parts down on paper today. Put it in your car or on the kitchen table. Ask yourself this..."If this is true? How can I change my current behavior to make sure I get Gods blessings?" 

He wants so badly to give you all His favor and benefits...go get them baby girl.  

~Allison

Day SIX
Genesis 12
Click HERE.

    


  

No comments:

Post a Comment