Monday, June 23, 2014

Day Four-Don't Forget To Ask

Day Four

Psalm 51

Create in Me a Clean Heart, O God

You are either good at apologizing…or you’re not. #sorrynotsorry isn’t a good apology.  

Half way apologizing is an insult to the person you are delivering it too…”Hey sorry I broke your phone but whatever it’s old and you should have had a better case on it but hey sorry.” Um, no.

A personal pet peeve of mine is when someone apologizes and before you get a chance to respond they are already backing out of the admission and blaming other people…who usually aren’t even there to defend themselves. “I’m sorry I told her you said that, I totally shouldn’t have let that slip out but really it wasn’t all me._____ actually said it too so I don’t know how she knew but she did and now that I think about it she was mostly the one who told your secret.”   

Not an apology.

It’s not fun to apologize, nobody enjoys it. But it frees you from *it* and we need that to function. Sleepless nights wondering when the thing that you have done will be found out…not fun. Admitting it and apologizing…not fun. Suffering the consequences from your actions…not fun. 

Being able to look at yourself in the mirror, breathe deeply, sleep soundly, and walk down the hall proudly without guilt or shame…worth it.

When you have something to hide…something to confess…your body literally has physical reactions. Upset stomach, a heart that races and nervous ticks like bouncing your leg or biting your fingernails. It’s not pretty and you know what? It’s not necessary. 

You weren’t created to live in turmoil. God hates it for you sister…It’s not freedom. Not at all.

So Psalm 51 is a heart wrenching plea to God from a man named David. When you read his words if you don’t stop after the passage and think “What in the world did he do that was so bad?” then you need to re-read it. 

This guy is p-o-u-r-i-n-g his heart and soul out to God. Terrified really that God will “remove the Holy Spirit from him” Jeez. 

What part sticks out to you as most sincere? I highlighted the lines that made me put my hand over my mouth and raise my eyebrows…

     Have mercy on me, O God,
    because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion,
    blot out the stain of my sins.
Wash me clean from my guilt.
    Purify me from my sin.
For I recognize my rebellion;

    it haunts me day and night.

Against you, and you alone, have I sinned;
    I have done what is evil in your sight.
You will be proved right in what you say,
    and your judgment against me is just.[a]
For I was born a sinner—
    yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.
But you desire honesty from the womb,[b]
    teaching me wisdom even there.
Purify me from my sins,[c] and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Oh, give me back my joy again;
    you have broken me—
    now let me rejoice.
Don’t keep looking at my sins.
    Remove the stain of my guilt.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    Renew a loyal spirit within me.
11 Do not banish me from your presence,
    and don’t take your Holy Spirit[d] from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
    and make me willing to obey you.
13 Then I will teach your ways to rebels,
    and they will return to you.
14 Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves;
    then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness.
15 Unseal my lips, O Lord,
    that my mouth may praise you.
16 You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
    You do not want a burnt offering.
17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.

    You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
18 Look with favor on Zion and help her;
    rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then you will be pleased with sacrifices offered in the right spirit—
    with burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings.
    Then bulls will again be sacrificed on your altar.



David, the author of this chilling confession, is the same David who killed Goliath as a young boy. The same David who is by and large known as the greatest King of Israel and was given the very prestigious title “A Man After God’s Own Heart.”

He was tight with God…listen to what God says about David in Acts 13:22…

God removed Saul from office and put King David in his place, with this commendation: ‘I’ve searched the land and found this David, son of Jesse. He’s a man whose heart beats to my heart, a man who will do what I tell him.’

God made him King and said I’ve searched and found this man whom I trust will do what I say and whose heart thinks like mine…THIS guy wrote Psalm51?

Yep. He sure did. After a quick study of his life you will find that he was a HUGE SINNER. He did the big ones like adultery and murder and he makes an episode of Jerry Springer look goooood. His family life was a mess; his kids were disobedient and rebellious to say the least. His son raped his daughter and he did nothing about it. This stuff is nasty y'all. NASTY.

But David loved God. No doubt about it. He did. He wanted to please God and yet he made bad choice after bad choice with a few victories that got a lot of fame and then more bad choices.

All that and God still forgave him? Yes. What kind of God is this? What does He require? According to David’s example…He wants an honest apology. A confession. A real one…

What can we learn from David? More than you want to know…truly. But there is a reason God allowed it to be on the pages of what He calls Holy. We need to become better at a genuine apology, confession of sins.

“Now I lay me down to sleep I pray the Lord my soul to keep…” weak. “God is great God is good let us thank Him for our food…” all very sweet and true, but not an apology.

In a relationship, confession and apology is a daily event. (That is if you care about that person at all and desire something deeper than surface level.)

So when is the last time you laid it all out on the table for God and said…”Take it. All of it. I can’t carry it around in my mind for one more second. I’m sorry, I really am and I love you…please don’t turn away from me.”  

The best news is we know how the story ends…God’s love and compassion and GRACE does flow out and cover us. Every. Single. Time. But we need to ask…Don’t forget to ask.

Seventeen is my favorite verse from this and you can take it to the bank girls…
“The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
    You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.

He will NOT REJECT. No ma'am…He will not.

~Allison

Day Five is Matthew 5

Read it HERE.     

No comments:

Post a Comment