Monday, December 30, 2013

A Thousand Years


I'm sitting here looking at the ocean, the way it goes in and out, all the way to shore it seems... and then it pulls everything right back out...the ground shifts right under your feet...you are never still here. The kids get in the water and they steady move to the right, I don't know why but it's a thing.
People gaze at the endless possibilities of the water hitting the sky and I can tell (because I am a people watcher) we are all dreaming of something bigger, how can you not when you are among  a billion grains of sand. 

And I'm thinking too, a lot. Well, I'm actually mostly praying. I talk to Him in fragments. It's one of the things I adore about Him...He could care less about grammar...trust me. It's the broken pieces of conversation he is so good at putting together...He completes sentences...he loves run-ons. He is reading the books we are all writing in our heads.  

And so here we are, hanging onto the edge of 2013, it's on all of our minds. Some of us could-care-less about the number aspect of it all, and some of us are completely wrecked by the passing of time. I can relate to both.  

There have been years that were so full of pain and loss and confusion that I was begging God for calendar to change, as if that was my permission to grab a blessing or get a "new thing" from Him that would somehow heal the mess. Ridiculous. He changes things and makes us new anytime we ask. Even now, today, the last holdout of this calendar year...could be the launch. He can’t be contained...especially by a number.

And there have been years that were so full of just plain goodness, wholesomeness and all those wonderful feelings you can’t seem to express and I was almost terrified to hear the fireworks and sip the champagne because, surely, goodness can’t last forever and the next year was sure to bring something horrible. You know the saying...Waiting for the other shoe to drop. (Honestly, I don't even know what that means but I've said it and I've certainly heard it and it doesn't sound positive.)

I know my God...I trust Him...His timing isn't our timing...His ways are not our ways...I know this...but I can’t wrap my head around it so I fret. Because I guess that's what I do. It's not good. I don't recommend it. Fretting.  

 “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord. 

    “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.

 For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,

    so my ways are higher than your ways

    and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." 

Isaiah 55: 8-9
 

So anyway, after all thing rambling, if you are still reading this, you must need this Word as much as I did...I want to share with you a few things I know for sure God has whispered to me among the waves this week. I hope so much that they bring peace to you.  

When I close my eyes and open my heart, I mean really open it up, tears may fall in the quietness of *it all* but then God... 

"But do not forget this one thing, With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day." 2 Peter 3:8 

I call out to Him like a child who has just been given permission to stay awake an extra hour to read a few more chapters in her favorite novel..."THANK YOU SO MUCH GOD." 

I don't know about you but there are so many things I will have to call unfinished, or even failures if I have to call them done or completed by 2013. Goals I didn't meet, dreams I didn't grab, relationships I didn't mend, adventures left un-ventured.

I NEED MORE TIME to get all this done, and I am suggesting to the rest of you who maybe don't feel ready to hit 2014 wide open because there are still strings attached, dangling’s from 2013...ITS OK.  

This isn't so much a new year for some of us as an extension. As long as you and I are breathing we still have time to complete our callings and perhaps the only ones putting hard dates on it all is US. Maybe...God didn't ever intend for us to finish something in a calendar year. I just want to throw it out there that 2014 can be the year of “Still mending up pieces that are worthy of the mend."

It's possible this is just a me problem, that's OK. But I need to know that a 12 month time frame doesn't make or break a person. Whether it was a great year or one you really would like to see go up in flames. I needed to hear from God that he wasn't even on the same calendar of achievement I was.  

Bring on the celebration of life and opportunity to keep keeping on. The good stuff you want to hang onto...hang on tight baby, and the stuff that you need to change or put more work into, let’s bring that with us, it's not finished until It. Is. You know what I mean? Today is not that day.    

 So I'm looking at 2014 in a different light this year. The one through Gods hour glass. Who wouldn't like a thousand more years to get it all done? The good the bad and the redemptive. 

Pace yourself according to God’s grace. It’s like a thousand years more than we thought we had. How awesome is that!? 

Don't give up on your thing...whatever it is that you thought was going to be a 2013 thing...guess what...you have more time. Here is your extension, refocus and go for it. Or you know what...don't. Take this New Year off and rest.
God is not angry at those who sit by The Stream for rejuvenation. The waves are still going to roll in and out, God's going to complete His work in you...in due time.

Happy New Extended Time... (I know how stupid that sounds, just go there with me...) Grin.

~Allison