Monday, October 21, 2013

Moving On


Everyone I know is too busy. I do not leave myself out of this statement. Yesterday I put the car keys in the freezer...I don’t even know people...let's be kind and say it's because "my plate is full." And if the way I drink coffee is any indication of my multitasking gone really wrong I'm close to completing zero out of 100 tasks. There are no less than 3 cups of half empty mugs on all levels of the house by 10am. I suppose I just forgot I already poured the other two cups? Tragic. Thank God I'm not a smoker...the house wouldn’t be standing.

Most of us go from morning to night with all sorts of alerts and alarms going off on our phones reminding us of our next appointment. Very little down time, very little room for interruptions and for the LOVE of all things hurried up... very little time to run into a long winded talker in the parking lot.

And I wonder sometimes if there is anything under the sun that will make us stop. As it turns out there is. Death will make you stop. Not your death, although come to think of it your own death sure will do the trick, but the death of someone you greatly love...makes you pause.

Even Jesus, upon hearing about the death of His cousin John the Baptist, stopped.

"Now when Jesus heard this, He withdrew from there in a boat to a desolate place by himself."

Matthew 14:13

Last week we paused to mourn the loss of a loved one. It was beautiful and holy.

But I read on...verse 14

Soon a lot of people from the nearby villages walked around the lake to where he was. When he saw them coming, he was overcome with pity and healed their sick.

15 Toward evening the disciples approached him. “We’re out in the country and it’s getting late. Dismiss the people so they can go to the villages and get some supper.”

16 But Jesus said, “There is no need to dismiss them. You give them supper.”

17 “All we have are five loaves of bread and two fish,” they said.

18-21 Jesus said, “Bring them here.” Then he had the people sit on the grass. He took the five loaves and two fish, lifted his face to heaven in prayer, blessed, broke, and gave the bread to the disciples. The disciples then gave the food to the congregation. They all ate their fill. They gathered twelve baskets of leftovers. About five thousand were fed.

-------------

So in his grief, in his time of mourning, the people found him alone.

Instead of asking them to go away and let him reflect on the death of his family member for a bit longer...He poured out compassion and continued His ministry.

He healed the sick, He performed a miracle, He lifted his face to heaven, He prayed, He blessed, and He broke bread with the congregation and there were even LEFTOVERS.

I like Jesus. OK I Love Him.

I am not suggesting at all that the feeding of the 5 thousand was a funeral for John the Baptist, so please do not email me with your outrage of my theology misconception....I am simply relating a scene that happened in my own life to the flow of a story in scripture.

The food y'all. The FOOD involved after the death of a loved one is all around you in massive quantities. It is so yummy wonderful made by the hands of Saints. The people come out of every corner of the church and they are a living storyboard with all the lifting of heads to heaven, blessing, praying, and breaking of bread.

How I adore the body of Christ and its ability to pause for just long enough and then spring into action...mirroring Jesus...continuing the ministry.

My gratitude abounds.

Below is the recipe for one of the best soups my Grandma ever made. It makes a big amount. Fills my largest Crock Pot to the rim. I want to thank each and every one of you who paused with me last week in my time of grief and whispered my name to The King. I felt your prayers...they sustained me.

Here I am on this Monday morning...moving on... holding out my ladle and filling your cup in gratitude.

Mom Sasser's Famous Festive Fiesta Soup
4 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
2 family sized cans of cream of mushroom soup
1 large jar of roasted red bell peppers, chopped
3 bay leaves
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 large onion, chopped
2 (16oz.) jars mild salsa
4 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Teaspoons pepper
Sour cream for topping
Tortilla chips, crushed for topping
In a large pot, saute' onion and garlic in olive oil for 6 minutes. Add roasted red bell peppers, bay leaves, salsa, pepper, mushroom soup and 2 cans of water. Mix Well. Bring to a boil, for 45 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add chicken.
Pour into Crock Pot and set on low for 6 hours. Serve with a drop of sour cream and crushed tortillas on top.

~Allison